Print this page

News

2008-11-07 20:15:14

Blame Vietnam!


While working on JSP enabled BlueQuartz servers of some clients in Vietnam I spot some issues with the two JSP PKGs that are freely available for BlueQuartz. Eventually this kicks off BlueOnyx.

Category: General
Posted by: mstauber

 

While working on JSP enabled BlueQuartz servers of some clients in Vietnam I spot some issues with the two JSP PKGs that are freely available for BlueQuartz. Eventually this kicks off BlueOnyx.

I contacted Brian Smith to make some code improving suggestions for his JSP PKG and naturally we (again) talk about the lack of progress in project BlueQuartz.

During the course of the last year we had repeatedly spoken about the possibility of forking BlueQuartz and taking the project over to save it from getting doomed.

So far we had tried our best to resolve the matter internally and in cooperation with the rest of the team. We had no intention or desire to split the team and the community, nor did we want to take anything away from anybody. Especially not from Hisao, which we will always respect for his countless contributions over all those years.

But the last year had shown us a few things clearly:

  1. If we wanted things get done, we had to do it ourselves.
  2. Even IF we would contribute code, it would not get released through the projects code outlets.
  3. The existing project management could not be prodded to take a more active role.

However, it was also very clear to us that things had to change. Our businesses depend on a happy client base which largely consists of BlueQuartz and/or Aventurin{e} users, which use BlueQuartz virtual servers.

And people were getting tired with the lack of progress and were slowly looking for alternatives.

Hence we decided to do a fork, get "BlueQuartz" on CentOS 5 to a point where it works and is ready for release and then decide if we release it under the BlueQuartz name and lable, or under a new name and lable through our own release channels.

I started with the preliminary work on setting up a dedicated build area with SVN, Trac and whatever was needed for the coding.

The actual coding work started on the 8th November 2008 by merging code from the Aventurin{e} 6105R code tree, the BlueQuartz 5106R code tree and the BlueQuartz 5100R code tree.

 


Previous page: API Documentation
Next page: Downloads